Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 11:03:46 -0700 (PWT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Stephen C. Comoletti" <stevec@delanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: transfer rate on qlogic 1040/seagate incorrect?

Okay, here's what's happening. You in fact probably are running at wide &&
Ultra mode:

From my 3.2B machine:

Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
isp0: driver initiated bus reset of bus 0
isp0: 0.4 get user period 0xc offset 0x8 flags 0xfd00
isp0: 0.4 get current period 0x0 offset 0x0 flags 0x0
isp0: 0.4 set current period 0xc offset 0x8 flags 0xfd00
isp0: bus 0 set tgt 4 flags 0xfd00 off 0x8 period 0xc
changing root device to wd0s1a
da0 at isp0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
da0: <SEAGATE ST34371W 0484> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
isp0: 0.4 get current period 0x0 offset 0x0 flags 0x800
da0: 3.300MB/s transfers, Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 4148MB (8496884 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 528C)

Huh? 3.3MB/s? Huh? but....

semuta.feral.com > root lmdd if=/dev/rda0 bs=64k
^C44.00 MB in 4.87 seconds (9.0387 MB/sec)

Well- That ain't ASYNC mode!

--------------------

Here's the sequence...

A) At startup the ISP driver deliberately negotiates narrow/async mode
(iff the loaded f/w >= 7.55).

B) Later on, the CAM midlayer asks "What are you capable of"- The ISP
driver says "Ultra, offset 8, wide, ....".

C) The CAM midlayer says "Make it so....".  The ISP driver then instructs
the ISP card to do so.

However, it continues, when asked what the current state is, to say what
it has been told by the ISP it is.

D) The ISP chip is supposed to set, if it renegotiates a rate, a bit on a
response packet that says a new rate was renegotiated. That's supposed to
be the trigger to go off again and ask it what the current rates are.

I've found that it doesn't always do so! Argh!

What I used to do after asking it to set new rates was to ask it right
away what the new rates are. This is wrong because it needs to run at
least one command to do the negotiation. It's also wrong because the f/w
actually started returning random values for what it has set. I told
Qlogic, but they really had trouble reproducing/fixing it, so I decided to
just live with it.

Like you *I* find such a message about 3.3MB/s alarming and disconcerting-
I guess I'm saying that I haven't quite found a good way to get the chip
to tell me truthfully what the heck it's set for at the times that the CAM
subsystem queries me about the settings. I'm still fiddling with it. If
I find something and it can get into 3.2, I'll ask Jordan to let me put it
in. Otherwise, err, umm 'sorry'!