Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 96 19:35 MET
From:      shanee@rabbit.augusta.de (Andreas Kohout)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with FreeBSD

In article <3295D1FB.5E2E4579@ufr.lirmm.fr>,
	borki@ufr.lirmm.fr (BORKI) writes:

> 1- how can I give a name to my host like: toto.tata.fr and not:
> myname.my.domaine ?

in /etc/sysconfig

# Set to the name of your host - this is pretty important!
hostname=rabbit

and in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost.augusta.de localhost
127.0.0.1               rabbit.augusta.de rabbit

acording to your needs

> 2- I wanted to enable the linux emulator and make the kernel reconize my
> sound card, so I make a new kernel. The linux emulator works, but for
> the sound  card, I can read in the startup
>
> sb0: <Sound Blaster 16 4.13>
> sbmid : not found in H330  ( or something like that)
>
> 	why sbmid don't works ?

is your SB a PlugīnīPlay? Or is MIDI raelly configured to 0x330? I use a
SB Pro without MIDI, so I canīt check it ...

> After that I do:
>
> /dev/MAKEDEV all

I donīt know, in my /dev there is for example

brw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 0x00020002 19 Okt 15:34 wd0s1
brw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 0x00020000 19 Okt 15:34 wd0s1a
brw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 0x00020001 19 Okt 15:34 wd0s1b

/dev/MAKEDEV all removes oll the old devices, try to start in single user
mode, cd to /dev and do a ./MAKEDEV all, then do a ./MAKEDEV wd1s1e and
check th devices, than do a ./MAKEDEV snd* ...

Take a look at /dev/MAKEDEV ...

Hope that helps ...

--
Greeting, Andy