Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:23:51 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: compaq presario 2200 problems

Hi,

    It sounds to me that you have a configuration problem, could be several
things:

1.- Make sure that the disk its marked as bootable, you can check this with
"DOS fdisk".
2.- If your disk its an SCSI one, make sure the termination its in its
place.
3.- I insist, make sure that you can boot with DOS ("fdisk /mbr",  "format
c: /c/s" & Boot), if you can boot with DOS, it has to boot with FreeBSD.
4.- Make sure that you have specially specified the "Boot: SCSI" option in
your "BIOS" (or C if it is an IDE one).
5.- Make sure that in your "SCSI BIOS", its defaulting to boot from the
specified disk ID.

    I Have a Compaq Proliant 800, with 2 SCSI Disks, and it was working fine
under NT, but when I tried to install FreeBSD on it, it detected all the
devices, but it timed out the Disks, I had to play around with the SCSI IDs,
in order to make them work, and the server has worked great since then.

P.S. It seems that could be the option #1, AFAIK the FreeBSD fdisk sometimes
failed to mark the disk bootable.

Good Luck...
Ales