Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
To:        "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@cats.edu.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem (fwd)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, daniel B wrote:
> >
> > > First it is a good idea you subscribe to this list if you are running
> > > FreeBSD in ISP environment, I have gotten some realy good advices here.
> >
> > Actually, I am currently. This was my email to freebsd-questions
> > originally and then I forwarded it here =)
> >
> > > Second: I had a similar problem a few days ago. My SCSI bus was hungup due
> > > to a bad controller card BT958 which was crapping out during high data
> > > transfers and finaly failed to boot up and detect the SCSI BIOS and all
> > > devices attached to the SCSI bus. My disk also went silent.
> > > My remedy was to try another SCSI controller card ( buy one from a store
> > > that has a return policy) My disk did bootup with onother
> > > SCSI controller but had to replace it because it was damaged by the bad
> > > controller card. If this does not work try replacing the disk.
> >
> > What I did was to replace the disk. The new disk happened to be the same
> > model as the former. It's now working with no problems. I came to a
> > conclusion that the former disk itself had problems, maybe bad sectors
> > because I kept on seeing this,
> >
> > (da0:ncr0:0:0): Invalidating pack
> >
> > also
> >
> > vm_*something*: read error
> > *something* : MEDIUM ERROR *something*
> >
> > Then afterwards, the disk goes silent and my FreeBSD hangs up of course
> > since the disk is no longer running.
> >
> > > If your SCSI controller does not scan the SCSI BIOS during bootup you have
> > > a bad Controller! If controller bootsup OK and does not detect SCSI
> > > devices you check for termination cable length e.t.c
> > > Did you replace/change anything in the SCSI chain lately?
> > >

> > Actually, the SCSI controller is already builtin to the motherboard, a
> > T440BX server board. Currently, the FreeBSD box just have one SCSI disk.
> >
> > > the Error ncr:0:0:0 refers to the SCSi controller itself
> > >

> I spoke to soon =) I'm encountering the same problem again. I guess that
> just wraps it up. I'll gonna try a different controller.
>
> --
> riko

Be careful about the disk now! it might have taken some beating by now
my disk was damaged ( MBR gone ) when I tried to flash the SCSI controller
ROM while the drive was still attached to the controller; tech support did
not warn me about this!
 can you disable the on-board SCSI controller to
try another one?

Dan