Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:47:02 +0100
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: regression-test

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:35:01PM -0400, Wesley Shields wrote:
> Which is why I would recommend wrapping them in checks for
> MAINTAINER_MODE or something similar.  This way you, as the maintainer,
> can turn them on when you want but they don't affect anything else.

That's true for the OS versions and architectures that a maintainer
builds on.

I'm very fond of CPAN's culture of build, test then install for all
modules.  Sure, it takes time, but it's helped me find problems on
machines I use that others, including the author, haven't encountered.

I didn't know Ports had such options until this thread: I'm tempted to
enable regression tests whenever I build ports to benefit from the
extra sanity checking that tests provide.

Restricting such tests to maintainer mode only eliminates these
benefits and risks devaluing MAINTAINER_MODE if non-maintainers set
this variable to benefit from automated testing.

Tom