Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:10:32 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@kerneled.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contributing to FreeBSD list of things todo

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:59:21PM +0100, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:58:48PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 04:30:00PM -0600, Ben Siemon wrote:
> > > I have a suggestion for things dev people could do to help out with
> > > code already done. I noticed the suggestion for compiling with -Wall
> > > enabled. Would it serve any purpose to compile the sources with -ansi
> > > and or -pedantic as well? I am fairly new to FreeBSD so forgive me if
> > > this has alread been addressed.
> >=20
> > I think the todo list is dated in this area.  We now compile many files
> > with large sets of warning flags via the WARNS variable in Makefiles.
> > It is useful to expand the coverage in this area, but it's not all that
> > trivial.  It's often fairly easy to make the warning go away without
> > fixing the real problem the warning represented.  This means that far
> > too many patches to raise warning levels are useless and waste developer
> > time.  There's also the fact that such changes need to be tested on
> > multiple architectures because certain warnings are platform specfic.
> > At the least testing is needed on i386, alpha, and sparc.
> >=20
> I've seen an effort to remove these warnings by setting WARNS?=3D6 . Would
> this be preferable to work on, on freebsd as well? Ofcourse testing on
> most architectures.

Setting WARNS=3D higher and fixing the warning is useful, but we've
see a lot of submissions that took more time to fix than dealing
with the problem would have in the first place.  The work of someone
who submitted high-quality fixes consistantly, would certainly be
appreciated.

-- Brooks

--=20

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/