Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:43:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      rich@goliath.spirit.net.au (Rich Siggs)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: exportable DES library ...

'morning Jordan,

>  The default password "encryption" with 1.x
> was a simple scrambler and about as difficult to break as a Captain
> Midnight decoder ring, fresh from a box of cereal.

	Cute - yet more motivation to solve this.. :/

> That might actually work to your advantage, however.  Nate - what was
> the algorithm you used?  I don't have any 1.x sources around to check.

	From the 1.1 srcdist I've got, it appears that 1.1 libcrypt sources
call MD5 routines, yet there are references to the need for DES routines in
the libc crypt.. Confusion reigns, could someone help me identify the actual
default/original passwd encryption routines used by 1.1.5.1-RELEASE, with what
src distrib they're in, etc?

> It may well be that you can write a perl script to descramble the
> puppies and then re-DES or MD5 encrypt them.

	Now _that_ would be fantastic! If such a script already exists, then
I'm sure there's more than myself who could use it. But if not, then the info
above will help me track down the actual routines & I'll see what reverse
engineering can be done to unscramble these puppies ;)

Thanks,
Rich.