Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 12:28:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty Jr.)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

>  > However, the PnP discovery ordering is:
>  >
>  > 1)	disable all PnP
>  > 2)	probe all non-PnP cards
>  > 3)	Query PnP cards for where they may fit
>  > 4)	Do a topological sort to fit them all
>  > 5)	Make them pick one to disable if the sort results in a
>  > 	collision.  Repeat as necessary.
>  > 6)	Map the mappable locations
>  > 7)	Enable the PnP cards that were not marked disabled
>  > 8)	Attach drivers as available, loading them if necessary
>
> Well, Terry it makes no sense to activate devices which I don't
> have a device driver who knows I may even be able configure my
> system 8)

You have no choice.  If you have a non-PnP motherboard with ISA,
your ISA slot devices that are not PnP *are active*.

Period.

If you are talking about PnP devices for which you don't have
drivers, then you missed #7's "that were not marked disabled".

This is the problem with continuing to use older ISA hardware.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor:  "Don't do that"
Patient: "But I want to do it"
Doctor:  "Then don't bitch when it hurts"
Patient: "I want to do it AND I want it to not hurt"
Doctor:  "Take a CS course and learn about 'mutual exclusion'"

>  > Note that you can still be screwed if you don't recognize a non-PnP
>  > card on an ISA bus, since you will not be able to infer its location
>  > for the sort, and it can't be disabled.
>  >
>  > Conclusion: If you have problems, it's because your GUS is too greedy.
>
> Pretty lame Terry 8)
>
> I do have full duplex audio over here and it works as for many of the
> devices that the GUS has I don't need . For instance, the SB PRO emulation
> and the CDROM interface which btw the normal board does have anyway.

Well, if you run out of interrupts and it doesn't let you disable
on a per device on the board basis, you are still screwed, and I
have to blame hardware (or trying to jam too much hardware into an
ISA bus in the first place, or use of an ISA bus in the first place).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.