Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:10:18 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Bernard A Doehner <bad2@rfc.comm.harris.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Millenium AGP and Fxtv (Hauppauge PCI).

Bernard A Doehner wrote:

> Are any of you succesffully running Millenium AGP card (which I understand
> is now somewhat? supported under X), and a TV capture board with fxtv?

Well I run one FXTV with my AGP ATI Expert at Work card ok.

> Is the throughput any better/worse than going to a PCI video card?

It would be better on PCI as the Bt848 can do Bt848->VGA card direct DMA
transfers, thus
minimusing CPU overhead.
However, this is only possible on XFree86.

If you use Xaccel (which has no DGA support) or use an AGP card, FXTV
has to get the bt848
to grab into main memory and then blit the image to the X window from
there.

In my BIOS there is an option to allow PCI to AGP direct transfers but
I've not experimented
with this (as I run Xaccel)

bye
roger