Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Maarten de Vries" <mdv@unsavoury.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Traffic shaping

    For connections whos primary data path is outgoing (e.g. like a web
    server), try turning on the experimental bandwidth delay product
    code (requires a recent -stable kernel).

    sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.inflight_enable=1
    sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.inflight_debug=0

    This will prevent your local DSL modem's queues from building up
    a large backlog of packets.

						-Matt

:Hi all,
:
:I could do with some hints regarding traffic shaping. My homenetwork is
:hooked up to an assymetrical (1536/256) ADSL line, using a FreeBSD 4.6
:system which provides the usual NAT/Gateway/Firewall services. I'm using
:dummynet to control the amount of bandwidth used by certain hosts on the
:network, which all works fine. However, I still suffer from latency when the
:maximum up- and/or downstream of the line is being utilized. If I understand
:it well, this happens because the buffer in the ADSL modem fills up
:completely at those occasions. Is there anyway to prevent this from
:happening?
:
:Ta,
:--