Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 08:40:45 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Bertus Pretorius <bertus@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, jkh@freebsd.org, evanc@synapse.net, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> Tom Samplonius stands accused of saying:
> > > That said, be aware that any kind of UN*X box doesn't exactly compete
> > > with a Cisco in terms of performance.  They throw raw hardware at the
> > > problem whereas we have to do it the hard way, in software.
> >
> >   The bottleneck certainly can't be in the CPU can it?  Where is the
> > bottleneck with PCI and a good 486 motherboard?
>
> Latency.  The ability to receive and transmit continually on all ports.
>
> As jordan said, router manufacturers throw _serious_ hardware at their
> designs; most of them are built around special-purpose backplanes with
> considerably more bandwidth than PCI.  They usually have one CPU per
> interface, and a couple more running the show.
>
> > Tom

I agree with this statement.  We use FreeBSD as a boundry router (encrypting
and firewalling) and works like a carm.

We are also working on a FreeBSD Ver 2.0.5 specific SNMP to be available shortly.

--
+-Bertus Pretorius------------ (O) (O) ---------------bertus@mikom.csir.co.za-+
| mikomtek                        ^                   +27 12 841-3001 (Voice) |