Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 23:33:13 +0200
From:      "Ragnar Nielsen" <ragnar.nielsen@idcomnet.no>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Installing and Running PostgreSQL

[jfreeze@lexmark.com]
> Thomas Good wrote:
> > Once you build PG you need to enable the trio of sys v functions
> > in the kernel src (SYSVSHM, SYSVMSG and SYSVSEM)
> > and the do a kernel rebuild. After that it works fine.
>
> Whoa there Nelly. Can someone please translate that for me.
> Exactly how is this to be done. I sure hope that I can do all that.
> Do I need kernel sources? I don't know if I installed the user or the
> developer model.  (That was a lot of questions :-)  )
> As a newby, rebuilding the kernel for the first time is somewhat
> frightning.

Perhaps frightening, but easy enough. You'll have your kernel up and
running in probably less than half an hour, depending on your system:

1. Don't panic.

2. Install kernel sources if you don't have them. Look in /usr/src/sys.
   If this directory is missing or empty, you need to install them.
   Do a /stand/sysinstall, select 'configure', 'distributions', 'src',
   'sys' and install the missing bits from your favourite media.

3. When done, go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ and copy the GENERIC config
   file to MYKERNEL. (GENERIC is the config file from which your current
   kernel boots from, it is the distribution kernel. Don't mess it up,
   it is nice to keep pristine as a reference.) Open MYKERNEL in your
   editor of choice, and change the line
   ident	GENERIC

   ident	MYKERNEL

   or your system name or something equally descriptive.

   Now, add the lines

   options         SYSVSHM
   options         SYSVMSG
   options         SYSVSEM

   to your config file somewhere. I usually add them at the end, but
   placement is of less importance for these particular items.

4. Save the file, and do a 'config MYKERNEL' . Look for error messages.
   If none, go to ../../compile/ and do 'make depend', 'make' and
   'make install'. This is the time to get a brew on and have a cup of tea,
   the process takes from a few minutes to an hour or two, depending on the
   speed of your system.

5. When the compilation is done, your new kernel will sit in / as 'kernel',
   while the old one is now trading under the name of 'kernel.old'. The only
   thing left to do is

6. Reboot, and enjoy yor new kernel, now with System V messages, semaphores
   and whatnot.

Hope this helps,

Ragnar

--