Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:18:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        danj@3skel.com, tlambert@primenet.com, tom@sdf.com, jak@cetlink.net, grog@lemis.com, cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, AdamT@smginc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rob@f-body.org
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

> > Someone said, before, the kernel would need stuff in it to merely
> > deal with the token-passing architecture. After that, network drivers
> > could be written. Don't we already have FDDI? Does it provide a similar
> > token-passing substructure?
>
> Yes.  The FDDI and X.25 code (which you can maybe find in the attic
> portion of the CVS tree) both implement most of the necessary pieces
> of 802.5 LLC (which is probably the name of the sbustructure you
> were looking for here).

Actually, I was thinking back to how I know this (I had a copy of
the IBM specifications for everything at a previous employer), and
I realized that the reason I had been looking at the LLC for them
was in support of NetBEUI.

There is a NetBEUI implementation for FreeBSD by some folks at Mitre
which must have implemented much of the LLC code necessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.