Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:27:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Corey <coreya@mbs.valinet.com>
To:        Ping Mai <ping@stepnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: compaq presario

Since you don't seem to be getting an answer from anyone more
knowledgeable, just a brief comment:

This controller isn't in even PAO's list of supported ones.  What he says
about that is:
---
If your PC Card controller is not supported, please contact me
        (hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org) or BSD-nomads team
(bsd-nomads@clave.gr.jp).
        I need following information to hack the chip:

                o The name of the PC Card controller of your
                  machine. (e.g. Cirrus Logic 6832).

                o PCI device ID of PC Card controller (If your PC Card
                  controller is PCI - PC Card bridge or PCI - CardBus
                  bridge).
-----

Also you should realize that the IRQ, memory address, and I/O port used by
FreeBSD will most likely NOT resemble that used by Windows.

I have a Presario 1610 with a PCI-1131 controller.  Win95 sees it on IRQ
9, memory CC000 - CDFFF.  FreeBSD sees it as IRQ 11, memory D0000 - ?, I/O
3E0.

I've only had mine working for a week or so and I'm a newbie at FreeBSD,
so I don't feel qualified to comment further.  I fumbled around for a week
or so and don't remember exactly what I did to get it working.  At one
point I wiped my entire partition clean and started over.  It wasn't until
I put PAO in, and got it to patch and compile without errors that it
worked.

My device lines (unmodified, I think) are like:
device    pcic0    at isa?  port 0x3e0  irq 11
device    pcic0    at isa?  port 0x3e4  irq 11
Then later, for my NIC:
device    ed0      at isa?  port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

I can't pretend to know what I'm doing, but it works finally.

  Alan Corey

Make your computer part of the largest computer in the world
See http://www.seti-inst.edu/setiathome.html
or http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ for more info