Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:54:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update of if_dc driver

Okay, I've had a couple of reports so far about the if_dc driver which
were mostly positive. I've also gotten some new hardware and did some
more testing and bug fixing:

- Fixed support for non-MII 10/100 cards based on the 21143 chip. This
  includes the DEC DE500-BA and the built-in 21143 ethernet on alpha
  machines. The DE500-BA is now being distributed by Cabletron.

- Changed dc_attach() so that if probing for an MII-based PHY fails on
  21143 cards, it will fail over to using the dcphy pseudo driver and
  SYM mode.

- Fixed a few minor problems with autonegotiation on Macronix and PNIC II
  cards.

- Simplified dc_pnic_rx_bug_war() a bit. Now we keep track of descriptor
  and mbuf indexes instead of pointers.

- Compiled KLD modules for both x86 and alpha platforms using
  gcc 2.95.2.

The driver should work correctly now with most 21143 10/100 cards.
If anybody has an Adaptec, ZNYX or other multiport 21143 card, I'd
be interested to know how it works with these. I've tested it with
a D-Link DFE-570TX 4-port card and it seems to work well. Again, the
driver is at http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/dc.tar.gz. If you have
FreeBSD-current and a supported card, please give it a try and let
me know how it holds up. Supported cards include:

- Intel 21143 10/100 NICs (Kingston KNE100TX, DEC DE500-BA, D-Link
  DFE-570TX, Adaptec 6244 (I think), possibly ZNYX and others)
- Macronix 98713, 98713A, 98715A, 98725, LC82C115 PNIC II NICs
  (NDC SOHOware, LinkSys LNE100TX V2.0, CNet Pro120A, CNet Pro120B,
  SVEC PN102TX)
- ASIX AX88140A or AX88141 NICs (Alfa Inc. GFC2204, CNet Pro110B)
- ADMtek AL981 Comet or AL985 Centaur
- Davicom DM9102 NICs (Jaton Corporation XPressNet)
- Lite-On 82c168 and 82c169 NICs (LinkSys LNE100TX, Matrox FastNIC,
  Kingston KNE110TX, Netgear FA310-TX Rev D1, D2 or D3)

My goal is to try and get this driver into 4.0 as soon as possible so
I can use it as a replacement for the al, ax, dm, pn and mx drivers.
However, there's a small problem: the de driver already supports the
21143, although it does so poorly according to some people. We can't
have both drivers trying to support the same chip. I want to be able
to turn off 21143 support in if_de and let if_dc handle them, but I
don't want to annoy people who are using if_de with 21143 cards now
and not having any trouble. What do people think? Does anybody have
anything against me transfering support for the 21143 from if_de to
if_dc? Does anybody have a better idea? I'm open to suggestions.

-Bill