Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 05:46:49 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        simonr@roland.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a web server

>I was recently recommended to run an apache web server  on BSD UNIX so that
>we could host our own web site. I want to know if FreeBSD is BSD or if it is
>a cut down version of a BSD version that is for sale. If it is, would it be
>suitable to base a web server such as apache on? We currently get hits on
>our site approximately every two-three minutes. We would be running it on a
>dual pentium II 333 MHz with 256-512 Mb ram and a RAID controller
>controlling3-4 hard drives.
>
>If there is a version of BSD for sale I would appreciate it if you could
>send me a web address at which i could get information a prices.

   FreeBSD is a full version of BSD "UNIX" and comes with all standard
utilities and a whole lot more. A hit every two-three minutes is very low
WWW traffic. Moderate levels would be in the two or three hits per second,
with heavy being more than 10 per second (or more than a million/day).
With FreeBSD, your hardware should be capable of heavy traffic without
much trouble.

-DG

David Greenman