Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 15:50:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        ncb05@uow.edu.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

Wait a minute. Let's get one thing straight.  Walnut Creek's done
a very good job with FreeBSD... FreeBSD isn't Walnut Creek's business.
Selling CDROMS (Ada, Slackware, FreeBSD) is.

They've done a very creditable job and more than most companies.
I doubt Info-Magic's done as much for Linux.  (They are also a good
CDROM house and I have also had dealings with them.)

RED HAT is a software company and there's no equivalent for FreeBSD.
Trying to say it is like trying to say Walnut Creek is BSDI.

It's just a foolish analogy.  If Walnut Creek is changing its focus
it's a very different business.

I don't think the apples and oranges comparisons have any value.

I'd love to see some venture money feeding a "FreeBSD Co." (not
necessarily FreeBSD Inc, Jordan) to get us on a more even footing.

I'm not worried about Debian, Slackware, or Caldera -- but Red Hat
scares me.  They've become the Microsoft of Linux in my opinion.
Read Linux Journal and count the ads and references to the
different distributions.

Bill