Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:27:17 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Martin Schweizer <schweizer.martin@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

On 08/06/2010 14:03, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 05:44, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your answer (and everyone else who replied). This is
>> exactly the reason why I keep going back to portupgrade. Default
>> OPTIONS almost always work for me

In my haste to point out the exciting new update to -G I neglected to
point out how OPTIONS work generally, and more specifically with
portmaster. If you run the current production version of portmaster
without -G then you will be prompted with all of the OPTIONS screens for
all of the ports that need install/updating, then portmaster will start
building stuff and leave you alone till it's done.

On successive builds for the same port you will not be presented with
that OPTIONS dialog again unless the questions have changed (OPTIONS
lines added or deleted). IOW, the ports system "remembers" your choices
so that you don't need to re-answer all the same questions again. In
portmaster this behavior can be influenced with a command line option to
force reconsideration of all OPTIONS.

Also, if you're satisfied with the defaults you should probably consider
the option to try installing packages first, and only build the port if
the package is not up to date.

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso