Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:44:55 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to fix a broken owner for files from world & build from ports?

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:08:20 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> El d=C3=ADa Monday, January 28, 2013 a las 10:28:06PM -1000, parv escribi=
=C3=B3:
>=20
>=20
> In general, I find all this thread (wrong file owner) a bit boring.

I find it very interesting.

> This is a mayor damage and can only be repaired by a new
> installation. A lot of files and directories in the systems

This is what I am doubting. Shouldn't an installation of the world
solve this problem? Or are the current owners of a directory ignored
when the world is reinstalled?

> filesystem, in / /var /usr, have dedicated owner to allow certain
> processes which does not run as 'root' to do their correct work
> there, for exmample 'mail'; i.e. you can not do just a complete
> "chown -R root .... " and expect that the system still works;

It cannot get worse. His experience will show also others how robust
FreeBSD is in case of failures.

Erich