Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:08:28 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I get the ``right'' screen-saver power saving mode?

I just installed 3.3, fresh, from scratch, on a new drive.

While doing the system configuration stuff during the install, I came
upon something I had never seen before, i.e. an option to use "green"
power saving mode as the "screen saver" for my monitor.

I selected that, because after all, who want's to be un-green? :-)

Well, it turns out that I _do_ want to be slightly un-green.

According to my monitor manual, the monitor normally sucks up around
150 Watts, but either (a) putting it into "suspend" mode or else turning
it off causes it to suck down less than 8 watts.  But then also, there is
this other mode called "standby" where the thing takes up less than 30 W,
and where it presumably will come back to life faster when asked to do so.

Well, it looks to me like FreeBSD is telling my monitor to fully "suspend"
whenever it senses keyboard/monitor inactivity for a period of time.  It
seems to go all of the way off and then takes several seconds to ``warm up''
and come alive again when I touch the keyboard again.

Is there a way to get FreeBSD to put the monitor into this other ``standby''
mode (when it decides that it's time for ``screen saving'') rather than into
the full blown ``suspend'' mode?  If so, then how do I do that?

P.S. This is a reasonably recent vintage Sony Multiscan 100sx, if it makes
any difference.