Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 16:27:10 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Cc:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make(1) patch to ReadMakefile() to use realpath(3)

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:34:28PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:

> I even can't buildworld on another machine without taking care of
> realpath.
> If I don't enshure that the source has the same realpath on the
> machine to run installworld as it had on the machine where I did
> the buildworld it break.

installworld does?  How?  The only possibility I can see here is that
dependency rules might be bad because the full paths may differ, but
that wouldn't affect installworld.

> And all that without a real benefit from blindly using realpath(3).

Show me a canonpath(3) or something which will give the simplest symbolic
i.e. a simplified full path given a relative or absolute path with all
redundancies resolved, without resolving away any symbolic paths.

I'm ``blindly'' using the only answer we have to a question: how can I get
an absolute (thus unique) path to an object in the filesystem.

I'm open to alternative ways of doing that, especially as I described
canonpath(3) above.

Thanks.
--
jmallett@FreeBSD.org   | C, MIPS, POSIX, UNIX, BSD, IRC Geek.