Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 1996 12:41:01 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Subject:   Re: SCSI adapter & Success/horror stories with HP pentium XU series

> I'll be given an HP computer at my new job. The series I'll probably get is
> the XU, with a P5-133.  It  uses an internal  IDE (blech) controller and an
> Ultra SCSI2 controller, also on the motherboard.
>
> I suspect (and hope!) it is an Adaptec similar to the 2940U (at least using
> the same chipset) but I'd like a confirmation before taking the XU series.

     If it's anything like the XU 5/90C that's next to my workstation,
it does *NOT* use an adaptec controller.  My XU 5/90C uses some AMD SCSI
chip, which I believe is not supported by any FreeBSD version (at least,
it's not mentioned in either the FAQ or handbook, and there doesn't
appear to be any driver filenames in the 6/12 -snap that contain "amd").
Under Windows 95, the built-in SCSI is reported as an "AMD PCI SCSI
Controller" (darn, I was hoping for some chip numbers).

     Sorry.
     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.