Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:26:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Neil McGann" <neil@neilmcgann.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   sis NIC problem

Hi All,

I've got a couple of Netgear FA311 NICs (sis driver) in a low-traffic
server/router/firewall that has been running fbsd4.4-R (with security
updates) for a year or so.

I occasionally lose all network connectivity on my inside nic (sis1). THis
usually follows a large data transfer from the server (100Mbit, full
duplex). What I see is that from the server console I can ping the nic IP
(192.168.0.1), but everything else on that subnet is unreachable. The
routing tables are fine and if I do "ifconfig sis1 down" then "ifconfig
sis1 up" all is well again. (note that when I do ifconfig down I can't
ping the nic IP)

I get no error messages or clues - The NIC thinks it is "UP" and no
errors. There are no interrupt conflicts or anything but 2 NICs on the PCI
bus (it's a micro-atx motherboard with integrated graphics, 1G Celeron and
256M ram).

Anyone got any suggestions of where to start on this one? I'm going to try
a full upgrade to 4.7 when I get a free day to take the server down, but
it's not going to be soon.

[The only non-standard thing on this machine is that I've hacked the ata
driver to only let the disks go to UDMA66. At UDMA100 the network
throughput was slow and limiting the UDMA top speed fixed it.]

Neil