Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:56:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>, questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the best way to image copy a FreeBSD system?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

> I tried a version of Clonezilla that understood ufs and it was really fast
> copying a slice: It did not understand disklabels and copied only the a
> partition pretending that it did the entire slice.
>
> Did you try to copy a slice with multiple partitions?

Since my T42 is handy, I'm testing the latest clonezilla-1.2.7-11-i686
image on it, PXE-booted.  It shows this sliced/partitioned disk as

Clonezilla            FreeBSD
----------            -------
sda  (60.0GB...
sda1 (60.0GB_ufs...   /
sda5 (ufs...          /
sda6 ((In_HTS...      swap
sda7 (ufs...          /var
sda8 (ufs...          /tmp
sda9 (ufs...          /usr

"savedisk" will back up all of these from sda1 onwards, so there will be
two copies of / (sda1 and sda5).  Same size but different md5s, no idea
what's going on there.

In the "saveparts" menu, the appropriate partitions can be picked by
just choosing all the ones showing ufs in the first part of the
description, but Clonezilla will only restore them to existing
partitions.  "restoredisk" doesn't recognize a backup directory created
with saveparts.

Using a VirtualBox system with a 62G disk, Clonezilla restored all the
partitions and the boot block.  The restored system boots and seems
fine.  It really ought to be verified with mtree checksums or something
similar.

There are Clonezilla mailing lists, and anyone who wants to use it with
FreeBSD or other UFS filesystems should join.  (I don't generally use
Clonezilla for FreeBSD, and my project list is already too long, so I
haven't, but still...)