Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:06:52 -0500
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blocking SSH Brute-Force Attacks: What Am I Doing Wrong?

--nextPart6633658.JQjqP6KmVs

On Monday 13 November 2006 10:11, Frank Staals wrote:

> The point is it isn't security through obscurity: as allready pointed
> out, FreeBSD & sshd can withstand those brute force attacks without much
> of a problem so there is no security problem, the only thing is those
> brute force attacks are anoying since they cloud authd.log If those
> attacks WERE a problem, or if there was a system which you could log in
> without user & pass if you would find out the correct port then, but
> only then, it is a bad idea ....

Given enough time, every user/password combination can be broken. Perhaps=20
not in your lifetime, but it is still a real possibility. Given the=20
relative ease of setting up keys and simply dispersing with user/passwords=
=20
all together, I fail to see why more users do not avail themselves of this=
=20
avenue of security. Then again, I don't know how San Diego came back to=20
beat Cincinnati yesterday either.

Anyway, each to his own!

=2D-=20
Gerard

	A word to the wise is often enough to start an argument.