Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 21:19:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird problems

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:

> Yesterday I installed FreeBSD (19990206-SNAP) on an alpha, and having some
> really confusing problems with it.
>
> rm(1) behave buggy. It is sometimes works, sometimes die with
> 'segmentation fault', sometimes die with 'illegal instruction', and
> sometimes fail with 'rm: No such file or directory' (without a file
> name). Every other program, including the compiler, seems works correct,
> (I built a couple of ports), so I don't think it is a hardware problem
> like 'bad memory' :-|.
>
> Any idea?

I've not heard of this before.  It smells like a VM problem but its
strange that only one program is affected.  Does this happen every time
you reboot (maybe stale contents in the cache)?  What if you rebuild rm
from sources?

Have you been able to build a world with this machine?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com