Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:44:38 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   egcs linking problems w/ gnome stuff

Hi!

I've used egcs (both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2) for some time to build ports, and
it usually works fine. Sometimes, I get problems with undefined symbols
when linking (usually shared) libraries, but most of the time this is
because related libs are built with the standard gcc. Rebuilding them as
well fixes the problem (this is especially true for kde stuff, which
need to have the sam compiler; can't even switch between egcs-1.1.1 and
egcs-1.1.2 without recompiling all of it).

One exception from this, however, is gnome stuff. Both
libaudiofile/esound and glib12/gtk12 won't link if the previous
(libaudiofile and glib12 respectively) were built with egcs. If I
rebuild
libaudiofile with stock gcc (2.7.2.1), and then build and link esound
with egcs, esound will link. Otherwise, I get undefined symbols (not
many, but still too many; it doesn't work).

I understand that the linking stuff must be quite different between egcs
and gcc-2.7.x, but isn't there something broken with libaudiofile and
esound, when esound won't work unless libaudiofile is built with
gcc-2.7.x?

If someone could shed some light on linking in general, and this problem
in particular, I'd be delighted.

Thanks
Palle