Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:22:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vlad GALU <dudu@dudu.ro>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BPF plans for 7.1

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Vlad GALU wrote:

>   Will the zero-copy bpf(4) changes be merged to the stable branch before
> the release?

Dear Vlad:

Unfortunately, no.  The code seems stable in 8-CURRENT, but I don't feel it's
had enough actual testing exposure to go into 7.x yet.  Also, the libpcap
changes to support it have only just gone back into the tcpdump.org
distribution of libpcap, and there is non-trivial reworking of that code, so
we'd like to let that settle as well.  We've had a number of queries so I
suspect we'll start maintaining a 7.x MFC candidate patch fairly soon (next
couple of months).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge