Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:05:07 BST
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enlightenment window manager

owner-questions-digest@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> Greetings,

> I've just installed the Enlightenment package on a -current machine.
> When trying to start it it dumps core and I have the following message
> on the screen...

> st0: NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present st0: not ready tar: can't
> open /dev/rst0 : Device Busy <deubug> Chose the 24 bit depth Visual,  ID
> 0x20, to work with

> Does anyone have any experience with this??

> Why is it trying to access my tape drive?

If Enlightenment is given no switches, it uses the theme 'DEFAULT', which
should be in /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/themes. As installed, this is a
gzipped tarball, which should be extracted automatically, but the tar command
line doesn't work with FreeBSD tar. (Tar assumes you want to use the tape
drive if it isn't given a file name.) This can be fixed by using GNU tar, but
it is probably better to keep the themes unarchived - it's faster to start up
and it doesn't leave loads of stuff in /tmp.

--
Michael Searle - csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk