Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:10:11 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@uunet.co.za>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hylafax port status

Around Yesterday, "Kris Kennaway" wrote :

KK>  > I've checked the Hylafax page, but there don't appear to be any
KK>  > patches forthcoming.
KK>
KK>  The hylafax guys really don't seem to care about the security of their
KK>  product, which is a shame since as far as I can tell it fills a niche.

I know, it is poor :-(

KK>  Alexander Langer just sent me this patch which claims to address all the
KK>  instances of unsafe sprintf/strcat/strcpy buffers. I havent reviewed it
KK>  yet and wont be before 4.0, but you might like to try it out if you want

It fails to build all the binaries (on my -current) box.

KK>  to use hylafax but arent comfortable with the current security status
KK>  (remember, it's only known to be vulnerable to a local exploit - I dont
KK>  know if it even listens on the network).

If it's a local exploit, then it's not an issue. It does listen on the network
(or can).

Khetan Gajjar.
---
khetan@uunet.co.za	* khetan@os.org.za        * PGP Key, contact
UUNET South Africa	* FreeBSD enthusiast      * details and other
http://www.uunet.co.za	* http://www.freebsd.org  * information at
System Administration   * http://office.os.org.za * kg+details@uunet.co.za