Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:08:21 +0000
From:      Vincent D Murphy <murphyv@student.cs.ucc.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mij@osdn.com
Subject:   Re: distfiles downloading

= Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com> [20010319 2121]:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 at 21:13:51 +0000, Vincent D Murphy wrote:
> > whenever i type /usr/ports/*/make install, i want to download the
> > distfiles from ftp.uk.freebsd.org, not ftp.freebsd.org.
> >
> > how do i make this happen?
>
> Put the following in /etc/make.conf:
>
>    MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?= \
>       ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
>
>    MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}

thanks; that's exactly what i wanted.

in case the relevant ears are listening:
- the install should ask me whether to do this (after picking a country
  or other freebsd mirror) and do it.
- this should be in the FAQ.

everybody probably wants to download stuff from somewhere other than
ftp.freebsd.org; it's a shame not to put that fabulous mirror network
and country-level subdomain organisation to good use.