Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:24:39 +1000
From:      "Gavin Cameron" <gavin@itworks.com.au>
To:        <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Netgear MA401, hostap and ibss modes

Evening all,

Some of you will remember the trials and tribulations that I encountered
trying to get my Netgear MA401 and MA301 PCI card working in hostap mode
my -STABLE box.

About a month ago I determined that that the card was stable on hostap
mode if I used the wi driver from late July/early August. From
mid July onwards the wi interface consistent dies when data was
pumped though it.

After not using my wireless cards for a month, due to frustration
more than anything, tonight I decided to try IBSS mode.

I'm happy to announce that IBSS mode is working fine and appears
to be much faster than hostap mode (when it works ;-) ).

Putting the card into hostap still causes the interface to die almost
immediately.

There's definitely something fishy in the hostap code that was committed
in mid August.

I'm happy to help with debugging hostap mode if people let me know
what to do.

Cheers
Gavin