Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:36:05 +0200
From:      "Human" <human@adept.co.za>
To:        "freebsdquestions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   filesystem/dir file?

HI

Ive tried this in SCO UW7, Redhat and FBSD 4.0.

If u make a empty directory and then run a script in it to produce a couple
thousand empty  files , u will note that the size of the actual directory
file increases, which is normal because the actual file names of the files u
have created in the dir and their inode numbers are stored in the directory
file. The strange thing is once u delete the files in the directory the size
of the directory file does NOT decrease, why??? I presume the reference to
the file is removed but it seems (im not sure about the wording) the
placeholder or buffer in the directory file does not get removed therefore
it stays the same size.

My question is why does it not empty the file properly this seems like a
large waste of space, the only conclusion I can come to is in the old days
(b4 I was born) computers were too slow and it would have used up
unnecessary resources?????
Any one have a better theory?

Regards

J-P Human