Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:30:01 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpib driver - does anybody use it?

On Mon, 08-Feb-1999 at 17:44:33 -0700, John Galbraith wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
>  > Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:
>  > > Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>  > > > I stumbled upon the (undocumented) gpib driver today [...]
>  > > Actually, John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu> has written
>  > > a better driver for the National Instrument GPIB cards.  Search
>  > > the hardware mailing list for a URL to his latest driver.  It
>  > > is reported to be superior to the driver in src/sys.
>  >
>  > Then why haven't we imported it yet? send-pr that baby and drop me a
>  > note, and I'll look into it.
>  >

> The last version I posted can be found at www.ece.arizona.edu:/~john.
> I have been using it quite extensively for the last few months on a
> 2.2.6 machine.  Mostly it has been small transfers, so I haven't been
> using it at heavy load.  It appears to be quite stable under those
> conditions.
>
> I have tested it on another 3.0 machine, but I haven't been using it
> for real work.
>
> I made some extensive changes in order to support catching SRQ's using
> the poll() mechanism.  I almost have it, but there was one thing that
> I couldn't get to work, so I haven't posted it yet.  The version on
> the web page is the one I am actually using, along with a bunch of
> documentation.

I would greatly appreciate to see this thing go into the tree. I
still have to build a measurement system in our lab (you remeber,
John :-)) and people there are talking about linux already :-(.

Don't shoot me, but I would like to see it in 2.2.x if possible,
since 3.x-STABLE still has some problems which makes it impossible
for me to use it on production machines.

Thanks a lot,

	-Andre