Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:48:18 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem Accessing Internet via FreeBSD Gateway

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Richard Morte wrote:
>
> >Can anyone suggest what might be causing the network's FreeBSD gateway
> >to prevent full acceses to the internet? The network comprises a number
> >of Windows machines linked to a FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE box configured as a
> >gateway.
>
> Are you using fully qualified IPs on your local network?

Yes, local IP addressing appears to be working OK. I can ping, scan,
traceroute from any machine to all other machines by name or by IP
address. SAMBA mounts and printer sharing is fine, so all machines
appear to know about each other. I can also telnet and ftp to the
FreeBSD box via windows telnet /dos screens by specifying machine name
or machine.domain.name or dotted quad IP address. In telnet I can do all
the usual stuff at the shell prompt. No, not quit, ...just checked
again. I can ftp to host by specifying machine name or IP address, but
if I add the domain suffix I get connection refused. I have to add a
closing stop to get a connection as in:

ftp> open mymachinename.my.domain.
                                 ^

> Do you have natd running on the gateway

No, because I thought ppp in -alias mode took care of this. Didn't think
I needed nat because ftp / telnet / samba all work OK. The windows
machines have entries for the other hosts in c:\windows\hosts (as a
fallback), but DNS is available also and appears to work OK.
Anyway, I do have the -alias switch active.

> ...or the ppp nat option enabled?

Jason, thanks for your reply. Does any of this help?