Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Michael W. Smith" <mwsmith@merlin.darkmage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many files open?

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Michael W. Smith wrote:
> I keep getting a too many files open error on the system and it's hosing
> it all to hell. A friend of mine who's more familiar with FreeBSD told me
> I need to rebuild the kernel but he wasn't sure which directive I need to
> change to fix it. I've got the Complete FreeBSD book, and know how to
> rebuild the kernel, but it's not entirely clear what I need to change to
> stop that error from happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually the easiest way to fix this is just to increase the value
of maxusers in your kernel config file.  maxusers controls quite
a few system limits.  You made need to do more, depending on what
this box is doing but this is a good start.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com