Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:17:36 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I clicked into the EPIA 5000, added suitable memory, and the ITX-PV Super Slim
>     (includes AC power supply) plus adapters in case I want to add a slim HD or
>     CD in the future.  I am quite impressed by the unit.  My only complaint is that
>     the one fan in the case, which is situated next to the power supply, is quite
>     loud (unncessarily loud since I don't have a hard drive).  It's driving about
>     10 times the air that is actually needed for the power supply :-).
>     It looks like a simple matter to replace it with a slow fan, or possibly even
>     remove it since I do not have a hard drive in the case.  Note: this particular case
>     has no room for the PCI card, even with a riser.  I was going for small and figure
>     I will use USB for any expansion.  It does have room for a laptop hardrive and
>     a slimline CD.

I got that same case from iDot.com, and found that a Belkin F5D5000
ethernet card will fit in that case (Realtek chipset I believe) - even
lines up correctly with the hole in the back for the RJ45 jack, just
have to take the bracket off the card.

**BUT** there's a capacitor that sticks out into the harddrive bay and
would get in the way of a regular 3.5inch drive. A 2.5inch laptop drive
might be ok, no harddrive at all would definitely be ok :)

Somebody's who's handy with a soldering iron could maybe flip that
capacitor around to the other side of the NIC's PCB, to make it fit with
a 3.5" harddisk.

(Just to make this FreeBSD-relevant, I can also report that FreeBSD 4.6
recognized that Belkin card OK)

	Barry