Date:      Wed,  3 Mar 1999 18:27:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, bsletten@nova.org, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AOUT/ELF

Quoth Nate Williams on Wed, 3 March:
: My only fear is that jikes will become less useful as a 'java'
: compiler.  Because it is open-source, there have already been a number
: of requests to 'extend' Java language with new (useful) features.
:
: Unfortunately, as we've seen with gcc, the resulting 'language' is no
: longer 'C', and is instead 'Gnu-C'.
:
: Fortunately, the IBM guys have been good about rejecting such changes,
: but I think it's only a matter of time before it diverges into a new
: language.

Pizza is a different language, Generic Java is a different language.
These are Good Things.  Hopefully someone with more time than me
will add type complex and multi-dimensional arrays so that with
a good compiler back-end Java will be fast like f77.  Just think --
all that fortran code can go the way of cobol at last!  And multiple
inheritance, so as to allow mixin-style:  Whee, I'd be so happy!

And while I'm completely off-topic, did you know that Microsoft
recently was awarded a patent for butt straps?  I kid you not!

  http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US05819372__&language=en

Okay, I'll go take my medicine now.