Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Ryan T. Dean" <rtdean@cytherianage.net>
To:        Nikita Proskourine <nop1@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with make buildworld still...

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Ryan T. Dean wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Nikita Proskourine wrote:
>
> > I had a number of disappointments:
> > 1) At least 1 file so far I identified as corrupted right after install
> > from CD (contrib/gdb/gdb/jv-exp.y). After the build failed, I
> > successfully searched the log for the cause of the error and fetched the
> > file from ftp.
>
> 	You should cvsup to 4.1-STABLE.  From 4.0-RELEASE, you will
> download/ checkout 14.5 megs of new files and will download 75 megs or so
> of patches, but, trust me, its work it.
>
> > 2) I ran the build again. This time the build stopped with a much less
> > informative error. Here is the relevant part of the log:
> > Error code 2 continues to propagate at this point.
>
> 	Don't know what to tell you here, I guess try a cvsup, but it may
> be related to the errors below (which I have more information on).
>
> > 3) Could it be that there are bugs in FreeBSD 4.0 release that cause
> > corruption of files in the filesystem on a dual-processor machine? I am
> > getting many copies of the following message:
> >
> > ad2: WRITE command timeout - resetting
> > ata1: resetting devices .. done
>
> 	Not bugs with the release, I had the same problem on my dual pPro
> 200 when I first installed.  As it was, it was a bad device in the IDE
> chain, which was sending ghost messages, and kept powering up and down
> (IDE floppy drive).  I ended up rearraging all of my devices, and
> disabling everything I didn't need (down to hard drive, sometimes CD-Rom
> at the moment).

	This is why I should never write eMail right before I go to bed, I
end up forgetting things.  Problems 1 and 2 are indicative of some sort of
hardware errors as mentioned in three, and the ata controller resetting
because of device timeouts.  Strip the machine down to what it needs to
run, and run hard drive diagnostics on the hard drive.  If you can stand
to lose all the data on the drive, do write/ read 0 testing to it.  If
not, there are lesser tests which may work, but won't test the drive as
fully as a write/ read 0.  But write errors when installing (and read
errors on the fly) are most likely the cause of the "at least one
corrupted file", and perhaps with the compile time errors as well (missing
files, corrupted files, etc.).  Oh, and if its still failing, change the
IDE cables as well; I know it sounds strange, but I've had bad IDE cables
as well.

	Cheers!  (and heres hoping I don't remember something else in 2
mins or so)

		-Ryan T. Dean