Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:43:25 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@offmyserver.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v Linux on TechTV - stream

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 04:55:30AM +0200, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Well, IMO the best parts of the show was the introduction, around 00:15:00.
> "(...) based on the ideas of Unix, well, FreeBSD is truly Unix, while Linux
> is based on... uh... something Linus is running.. basically... to replace
> Unix...".

HAHA! yeah, I was impressed with Leo's general knowledge. he seems to
know a little bit about practically everything technical. very funny.

> And guys, your smiles near 00:42:30 were also nice, when that gentleman was
> talking about that wonderful RedHat security system ;) Anyway, that was a
> good point, do FreeBSD ports have something like audit-packages from
> NetBSD's pkgsrc? :)

we tried to keep it civil ;)
doesn't portupgrade have pkgdb -F or something? or maybe a pkg_info -g.

> I suppose, that showing how easy it is to use ports to compile new software
> (like, say, xmms 1.2.8, which was released few days ago, AFAIK) could really
> knock Linux out. Other nice thing to do would be to ask both teams to
> compile PHP with some non-standard options. This could be interesting even
> for general audience - I think, that people, who use Linux, may often have
> problems with their nicely packed RPM files (and they think compiling the
> sources is too hard for them).

that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. I think that they are
becoming more open to showing more technical material. the producers
kept asking us to 'show more eye-candy'.

> Do you plan another TechTV ,,Linux vs BSD shootout''?

you bet. I've already started bugging them about a more technical
shootout or a step by step FreeBSD installation how to segment.
like a getting started with FreeBSD broken up during multiple segments
over a week or 2.

-matt