Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:32:41 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Malcolm Waltz <mwaltz@PACIFIC.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

On 29/04/2011, at 2:16, Malcolm Waltz wrote:
> I doubt the issues you are encountering have much to do with ZFS.
>=20
> It sounds like you are using TimeMachine over NFS.  Obviously, Apple =
does not support that configuration:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dtime+machine+nfs+site:apple.com
>=20
> In my opinion, TimeMachine should only be used with block storage.  If =
you use any kind of file-sharing protocol (AFP, SMB/CIFS or NFS), =
TimeMachine is implemented using a sparse disk image broken into =
hundreds or thousands of separate files.  This is a hack at best.
>=20
> Time machine works very well with locally attached storage, but if you =
need to use network storage, you might want to try iSCSI:
> =
http://thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/using-zfs-with-apple-time-machine.=
html
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/iscsi/iscsi.txt

Hmm, I _am_ using AFPD, not NFS for this.. I will see about using an =
ISCSI disk image instead (although that would make it impossible to =
resize once it's created right?)

I see that the sparse disk image does use ~80000 files in a single =
directory which does take.. a while.. to stat..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum