Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:38:09 +0900
From:      Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libsml2 & libxslt config files location

Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:56:48PM +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
>

>>Okay. Probably I missed you point here but I would say in general case
>>you can not update package w/o updating its config file if any.
>>

>Most packages continue to work with old config files after upgrade.
>

>>>These two files are the only exception: they cantain hardcoded version
>>>number of
>>>libxml2 and libxslt.
>>>
>>>It would be really nice to move them to some other place.
>>>Since their purpose matches gtk12-config closely, I propose /usr/local/bin
>>>for
>>>them.
>>>

>>We have {xml2,xslt}-config wich plays role similar to gtk12-config.
>>Those {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh files in qustion are *config* files. They
>>supposed to be included by various shell scripts. Yes they have .sh
>>suffix but look at their permissions, look at their content. I can count
>>on number of ports and most notable is portupgrade wich keep such
>>script-like config files under etc/ directory.
>>

>If they are really config files, why do they contain version numbers of
>libxml and libxslt?!?  These are constants and can not be configured.

Because they contains bits about your current system configuration. You
don't have to edit them.

>If I upgrade those libraries and leave these files untouched, scripts you
>mentioned will continue to think we have an older version of these libs.

If you update those library packages you automatically get their config
files updated. So others immideatly pickup new stuff.

>I see no logic here.  What are these script which use {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh,
>provided that the same information can be extracted from {xml2,xslt}-config?

Former configure scripts I believe and gnome-config from GNOME1
configuration framework.