Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:38:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about updating guile to 1.8

--- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 18:07 -0800, Amatus wrote:
> > --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

> > > Excellent.

> are:
> what is
> > > the
> > > attached
> > >
> > > This patch is okay.  But note that GUILE_VERSION is not expanded
> > > until
> > > it is used in sh.  That is, GUILE_VERSION does NOT equal "1.8".
> You
> > > will not be able to make it equal "1.8" until it is interpreted
> by
> > > sh.
> > > The way you're using it here is fine, though.
> > >
> > > As for the command itself, it should probably be:
> > >
> > > `${LOCALBASE}/bin/guile-config info guileversion | ${CUT} -f 1-2
> -d
> > > .`
> > >
> > > Are you in a position to be run-time testing these ports with the
> new
> > > guile?  Once you're done with your work, do you want to be the
> guile
> > > maintainer?
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > I realize it's not expanded immediately. I know in GNU make there
> is
> > the $(shell) syntax for doing that but I didn't find a way to do
> that
> > in BSD make. Do you know the Right Way?
>
> The way you're doing it is probably best.  The way you submitted in
> the
> PR, while it may look correct, will most likely break INDEX when
> guile
> is not installed.   Try it.  Uninstall guile, then cd to lang/slib,
> and
> run "make describe".  Use of != is discouraged for commands which are
> not in the base system.
>
> Joe

I uninstalled guile and make describe worked fine with some noise on
stderr. I'm running into more problems with gnucash and lsh using
RUN_DEPENDS. I need to .include <bsd.port.pre.mk> before the != but if
I move it up too high in the file (before RUN_DEPENDS) then make
breaks. Would it be ok to just edit the dependency to be
"slib-guile>=3a4:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile" instead of
"${LOCALBASE}/share/guile/1.6/slibcat:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile"?
Thanks.

Be a better friend, newshound, and