Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:39:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
Cc:        rif@rif.hoosierlink.net, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mainboard recomendation needed

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Jim Riffle on Mon, 23 February:
> : they stopped making the ASUS board he knew of and found a FIC PA-2007
> : which looks like it may do the job.  However this board uses the VIA VP2
>
> FAI and AFAIK, FreeBSD does not support UDMA-33 on VP2.

Works fine for me! I've got an FIC PA-2007 and a Fujitsu MPA3035AT (if my
memory serves me right), 3.5Gb UDMA-33 disk.

Well, it all sped up a bit [lot] when I turned on the UDMA flags at boot.

Also, my previous home PC motherboard was SiS based, I'm now using VIA.
Neither of these boards have any problems. At work all our boards are
Intel-based, and the comparison isn't good. IMHO Intel get away with
selling junk just because they can rely on being the "market leader".

	steve

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/