Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:38:54 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVSUP - Make release - checkme, please!

What I'm trying to do (aka - the Grand Scheme):

	- Take a snapshot of 2.2.5-STABLE.

	- Make some local changes (ie - add a couple of device drivers,
		make changes to the default kernel to use them (both on install
		and on the boot floppy), remove extra hatdware configs, play
		with rc.conf so it has some local values pre-coded, etc)

	- Do a make release, hopefully generating something that can be used
		to replace my 2.2.5 CD on my network server.

What I have done so far (aka - Why I've had no sleep)

	- Pulled down the current CVS repository (via cvsup with
	  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile.

	- Fired off a test make release on another machine, to see what
		gotcha's I might run in to. I now know a lot more...

What I plan to do (aka - Heres where I screw up)

	- I want to cvs co -r RELENG_2_2 (which doesn't seem to be working) to
		get the latest stable code from the CVS archive (for 2.2.5)

	- I want to then make my changes

	- I want to cvs commit everything, then rtag it with REL225_BJM

	- I want to go to /usr/src/release, and make release, specifying the
		REL225_BJM to RELEASETAG, plus other reasonable values

Now, the question. Is this a reasonable thing to do? Or, am I doing something
blatently stupid that I don't get because I'm not quite sure what I'm doing?

Also, will this procedure work to get a 3.0 release if I just drop the
release tag, and use the head of the CVS repository instead?

Thanks.
		-Brian