Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:48:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Carlin <djc6@eecs.cwru.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bridging Loop

Hello,
	I'm in the testing phases of setting up a bridge/firewall for a
lab at the university I work for.  The lab has about 60 computers and is
currently uplinked to a network of over 13,000 hosts (with usually about
9,000 online at any given time).  The campus network is one giant bridged
network; every host is on the same subnet.

Right now I have the internal interface hooked up to a single computer via
a crossover cable.  The external interface is hooked up to a 5 port hub
with some other machines.  The machines on the 5 side can access the
machine behind the firewall without any problems.  When I replace the 5
port hub with a connection to the campus network however, I get looping
errors and about 90% packet loss to the machine hooked up via the
crossover cable.  I don't know where the loop errors are coming from; the
machine with the crossover cable only has one interface, so I don't see
how there are multiple paths to it.

Is the bridge table getting full or something?  I don't even know how
large it is (8192?)

Thanks for the info!

--
David Carlin -- djc6@scl.cwru.edu  | Case Western Reserve University
Manager, Smith Computer Lab        | 10900 Euclid Ave.