Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 02:56:40 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@blaise.ibp.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does the disk IO clustering work?

On Sun, 18 Jun 1995, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> > jhome # tunefs -p /dev/rsd0h
> > tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               1
>
> You can push this to 8
>
> > tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   4 ms
>
> You should lower this to 0.

Thanks!

> > tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  1024
> > tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             10%
>
> Now the default is 8%.

Just as a btw, I remember it being 5% for a while.  When I looked at the
code, I thought I read that if the minfree was <= 5%, then the auto
switch from space to time was disabled.  I know there was some sort of
hysteresis(sp?) problem as well.  I've seen both of these on SVR4 systems
- if you set minfree to 5%, it will automatically shift from time to
space, but will never shift out automatically.  At 6% it shifted out Ok,
but it oscilates too quickly.

> There is another parameter that can be set only at newfs
> time : -n 1

Damn!  Drat!

Thanks,
-Peter