Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:38:14 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A little humor (was Re: Is there still problems with Adaptec UW  controllers (fwd) )

> > minimum strain.  Such a testing methodology would only be a recipe for
> > building bridges which fall down during actual use and of interest
> > purely to fools and masochists.
>
> 80% of the PC industry are fools and masochists :-) :-)

That prompted a memory, and fortunately I remembered where I filed it:

SOFTWARE TORTURED DURING TESTING, PETS CLAIMS

Victims Cooped up in Tiny Rooms

People for Ethical Treatment of Software (PETS) announced today that
more software companies have been added to the group's "watchlist" of
companies that regularly practice software testing.

"There is no need for software to be mistreated in this manner so that
companies like these can market new products," said Ken Granola, a
spokes-bipodal-being for PETS.  "Alternative methods of testing these
products are available."

According to PETS, these companies force software to undergo lengthy
and arduous tests - often without rest - for hours or days at a time.
Employees are assigned to "break" the software by any means necessary,
and inside sources report that they often joke about "torturing" the
software.

"It's no joke," Granola said.  "Innocent programs, from the day they are
compiled and linked, are cooped up in tiny rooms and 'crashed' for hours
on end.  They spend their whole lives on dirty, ill-maintained, 16bit
Intel computers, and they are unceremoniously deleted when they're not
needed anymore."

Granola said the software is kept in unsanitary conditions and is
infested with bugs.

"We know that alternatives to this horror exist," he said, citing
industry giant Microsoft Corp. as a company that has become successful
without resorting to software testing.

  - Original author unknown