Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:13:38 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding packages affected by libtool13 -> libtool15 change?

Chris Shenton wrote:
> Was updating a bunch of ports which suspiciously changed at once and
> I'm stuck in a prerequisite hell.  I checked /usr/ports/UPDATING and
> see:

[ snipped message about libtool update ]

> Ouch. Is there a way to see which existing ports will need rebuilding,
> and what order they should be rebuilt to get the dependencies right?

As for the first question, 'pkg_version -v -L=' should tell you what needs
upgrading.

For the second part, you've already had some portupgrade suggestions, I have
a new port management tool in sysutils/portmaster that you might take a look
at as well. You can either choose to (recursively) rebuild a single
application and its dependencies, update everything that needs updating, or
update everything.

hth,

Doug