Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:37:12 -0400
From:      Ipswitch <ipswitch@apk.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: requirements

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 09:07:57AM -0500, Brandon DeYoung wrote:
> > >what kind of requirements does a dns server require???
> > >thanks
>
>     A 4 GB hard drive is more than you'd ever need for a DNS box. As far as
> other requirements; 64MB RAM should be more than enough. The one I built is
> currently running on a 466 Celeron which it hardly uses. If your site is
> getting very high traffic volume you may want to increase processor and RAM.

If the machine is only running bind, then the HD space requirements for
that are low. Logging may take up a fair bit of room. I'd agree that a 4
GB HD is fine.

The main thing that a DNS server needs is RAM. Lots of it!

last pid:  7830;  load averages:  0.42,  0.41,  0.38
19:27:45
40 processes:  39 sleeping, 1 on cpu
CPU states: 79.7% idle,  9.5% user, 10.8% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap
Memory: 256M real, 7652K free, 7676K swap in use, 505M swap free

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
13381 root       1  33    0   67M   65M sleep  32.5H 13.50% named

That's about normal, although I've seen it as high as 100 MB.

Zone transfers actually take more CPU and I/O than named itself.

I'd recommend something with high quality, like maybe an IBM PC Server or
Netfinity. You want something that will be extremely reliable. (A Sun
SparcStation 20 in good shape is also ideal, but you probably want to
stick with the x86 platform.)

Don't bother with a fast hard drive. Go for a cool-running 5400 RPM model
that will last longer.

A Celeron 466 is probably overkill, although I think I'd prefer a P-II 400
since it has the 100 MHz bus. Perhaps an AMD K6-2 on a Super 7 board? Even
a Pentium 200 will probably be enough horsepower for most nameservers.

Did I mention that you want lots of RAM? :-)

Running RCS on the zone files and named.conf is also a good idea, as are
frequent backups.

Stuart